Monday, August 17, 2015

Trouble Is a Friend of Mine

Author: Stephanie Tromly
Series: Stand Alone
Genre: Contemporary, Mystery, Humor, Romance
Release Date: August 4, 2015
Summary: Preparing to survive a typical day of being Digby's friend wasn't that different from preparing to survive the apocalypse. Her first day not in school (because she cut) in her new hometown that will soon be her old hometown (because she's getting out of Dodge as fast as she can) Zoe meets Digby. Or rather, Digby decides he's going to meet Zoe and get her to help him find missing teenager. Zoe isn't sure how, but Digby—the odd and brilliant and somehow…attractive?—Digby always gets what he wants, including her help on several illegal ventures. Before she knows it, Zoe has vandalized an office complex with fake snow, pretended to buy drugs alongside a handsome football player dressed like the Hulk, had a throw-down with a possible cult, and, oh yeah, saved her new hometown (which might be worth making her permanent hometown after all.) A mystery where catching the crook isn't the only hook, a romance where the leading man is decidedly unromantic, a story about friendship where they aren't even sure they like each other.
Review: "With the wit of Sherlock, the smarts of Veronica Mars, and the humor of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, this is a debut novel you won't want to miss". Honestly, that blurb could not be any more true. Even before the story actually got started I was drawn to Zoe and Digby. I knew there would be much more in store for these two and that their adventures would be unforgettable . . . and hilarious!

Okay, during, basically the entire book I was laughing. I have never known a book to be so hilarious, and yet have there be so much pertinent information thrown my way. I kept on bothering my family because I would read something super funny and couldn't wait for them to just read the book. To say I was annoying . . . well . . . that would be an understatement.



Let's first talk about Zoe. She was incredibly sarcastic! *bonus in my book* And the fact that she does so well after being thrown into Digby's crazy, hilarious world. She is like the Wallace to  his Veronica, the Watson to his Sherlock, and the Cameron to his Ferris. She's a definite champ. Oh, and I loved the fact that she was always bringing up the paper that she and Digby were 'supposedly' writing and all the arguments that ensued between the two over it. But alas! One of my favorite interactions with Zoe is this:

" "Get over there," Schell said.
Sitting on the floor with a shotgun pointing at me, I imagined a crime show with some cop looking at my blown-off face saying, "Gentleman, looks like for this kid" -- put on sunglasses -- "school's out forever." Then credits rolling and some 70s rock song about not getting fooled again starting with a scream. "

I know, I know, you are now frantically searching for a copy of this book near you! But, wait, there's more!



Digby. Phillip Digby. What a strange, lovable, completely random man-child you are. I couldn't even begin to grasp how you knew so much at such a young-ish age. I loved your 'sources', especially the hilarious ways you came up with to pay for the information you acquired from said sources. And seriously . . .  you're still hungry?!



Overall folks, this one is a definite keeper. I did end up giving it four stars mainly because so much would happen and I would get slightly confused, but then a couple pages later everything would make sense and then is would happen over and over. But then again, this is a mystery! If you're looking for a fun, quirky, suspenseful, comical, with a dash of romance mixed in read, this is the book for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment