Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Pure Grit: How American World War II Nurses Survived Battle and Prison Camp in the Pacific

Author: Mary Cronk Farrell
Series: Stand Alone
Genre: Historical Non-Fiction, Young Adult,
Release Date: March 1, 2014

Summary: Pure Grit tells the important but little-known story of the heroic women who served in the Philippines during World War II. Pure Grit is a story of sisterhood and suffering, of tragedy and betrayal, of death and life. This is the story of how a group of women cared for one another, maintained discipline, and honored their vocation to nurse anyone in need, all of them coming home alive.
Review: First and foremost, let me start off by saying that I had never heard anything about American nurses being captured in the Philippines in WWII in any of the history classes I've taken. Maybe I just wasn't listening close enough, but I'm pretty sure I would have at least remembered a little bit here and there about it. Moving on. I happened across this book while cruising my local library's website for something new to read. I've been trying to read more non-fiction lately just out of interest. Being partial to the young-adult genre I looked there first and what do you know?! Pure Grit showed up. After simply looking at the cover, I put it on hold! 
I was a little nervous starting out because I didn't want this book to be boring (because I often find non-fiction and boring relate in some extent). However, Pure Grit wasn't that way at all. It includes a great deal of facts, but they are extremely well-integrated into the story making it so that I never felt bombarded by them. The book also includes a variety of incredible photos from that time as well as many first hand accounts. After reading this book, I'd encourage and recommend it to anyone! A truly riveting account of some of the unsung heroes of WWII.

No comments:

Post a Comment