Monday, December 29, 2014

Seige and Storm

Author: Leigh Bardugo
Series: Grisha #2
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Adventure
Release Date: June 4, 2013
Summary: Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long. The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her--or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.
Review: Okay, so Siege and Storm didn't quite live up to it's predecessor, Shadow and Bone, but it was still quite a fantastic novel. I was a little nervous to pick this novel up at first. Mainly because I loved the first novel, and I didn't want the second and third novels to disappoint. It seems that I am one of the few who didn't quite like Siege and Storm as much as (if not more than) Shadow and Bone. Don't get me wrong, it was an amazing book! I just didn't find it as satisfying as Shadow and Bone, and here's why.
Alina, now with an Amplifier, sometimes thinks she is all-powerful. To say I didn't appreciate this would be a slight understatement. Although I'm happy she has an amplifier, I continually felt throughout the novel that she was flipping back and forth as to whether or not she liked having this extra power. I hated her indecisiveness and feel that if she has a downfall, this would be part of the reason.
The Darkling has so little to do with this book! Okay, I understand that he is the bad guy and all but COME ON!! I missed him constantly throughout the book. And personally, I liked him way better than Mal (#sorrynotsorry).
Speaking of Mal . . . he bugged . . . like constantly. I didn't appreciate how insecure he was about his relationship with Alina. Seriously dude, she has been in love with you for for-reaking-ever!! And now that you finally decided you love her back and want to be with her you're getting all insecure about it! GRRRR!!! :/
On a lighter now, Bardugo did an excellent job of continuing the story throughout Siege and Storm. The pace was great, and everything was as explained as it needed to be. Oh yeah, and I can't forget Nikolai. Seriously, he was my favorite character in this book! And that ending. Let's just say I was glad I had Ruin and Rising on hand!!

No comments:

Post a Comment