Thursday, January 15, 2015

Ignite

Author: Sara B. Larson
Series: Defy #2
Genre: Fantasy, Romance
Release Date: December 30, 2014
Summary: Alexa remains by the newly crowned King Damian’s side as his guard, ever committed to helping him rebuild Antion and reclaim the hope of Antion's people, despite continuing to harbor a secret love for him. However, when another threat to Damian and his kingdom emerges, and blame is cast on their newly forged allies from Blevon, Alexa knows things are not what they seem. With the fate of her nation hanging in the balance once again, will Alexa be able to protect her king and uncover the true enemy -- before it's too late?
Review: Well . . . this one was definitely better than its predecessor, but not by much. I had a very love/hate relationship. If you haven't read my review of Defy, I suggest you do so before reading the rest of this one.

So, even though I was pretty neutral when it came to my like/dislike of Defy, I decided to still give Ignite a chance because you never know! The second book in a series could turn out totally AWESOME and kick the first book into the ground!

Like so:



But . . . um . . . well . . . that didn't necessarily play out in real life as I had envisioned in my mind. I did like the overall story in Ignite better, but that ending . . . I couldn't handle it. It's another cliffhanger #shocker and I honestly felt that it didn't need to be. The bad guys were totally defeated!! And . . . well, I'll leave it at that as to not spoil it for any of you future readers! Anyway, Larson made sure that one of our very own was CAPTURED leaving the perfect segue for another book. Two books was more than enough!! Larson, why must you torment me so!?

Okay, don't get me wrong, this was still quite the book. It had romance, epic battles, and a pretty wicked cat fight! (Like to girls fighting . . . not actual cats . . . although that would have made for a pretty interesting conversation . . .)




The writing was better than the first installment in the Defy Trilogy (?), although not quite up to par with the other things that I've been reading lately. I will say that after reading Ignite, I did feel the need/want to go and re-read Defy because of where the story headed.

Ignite is an extremely quick, decent read. (I pounded it out in a few short hours.) I'd totally recommend giving this series a try! It wasn't one of my personal favorites, but I don't regret reading it!

No comments:

Post a Comment