Friday, January 30, 2015

Shadow Falls Series

Author: C.C. Hunter
Series: Shadow Falls
Genre: Paranormal, Romance, Adventure
Release Date: March 29, 2011 (First book was released) - April 23, 2013 (Last book was released)
Summary: One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever. Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arriving, it becomes painfully clear that her fellow campers aren't just “troubled.” Here at Shadow Falls, vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters, witches and fairies train side by side—learning to harness their powers, control their magic and live in the normal world.
Kylie’s never felt normal, but surely she doesn't belong here with a bunch of paranormal freaks either. Or does she? They insist Kylie is one of them, and that she was brought here for a reason. As if life wasn't complicated enough, enter Derek and Lucas. Derek’s a half-fae who’s determined to be her boyfriend, and Lucas is a smokin’ hot werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past. Both Derek and Lucas couldn't be more different, but they both have a powerful hold on her heart. Even though Kylie feels deeply uncertain about everything, one thing is becoming painfully clear—Shadow Falls is exactly where she belongs…
Review: Sorry it's been a while since I last reviewed! I wanted to review this series as a whole instead of book by book. (I only included a summary of the first book, but here are links for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th books if you are interested!) Overall I rated this series a three star for me. I honestly was expecting to like them more than I actually did. I loved the first book in the series Born at Midnight. It was funny, intense, and had some great world-building. After finishing the first book I was more than ready for Awake at Dawn. However, after getting approximately half way through things started to take a slight turn. I began to get annoyed with Kylie. I felt that the whole book (and rest of the series) was basically her saying "Leave me alone all you freaking hot boys that I would love to make-out with (and will voice in my head multiple times) but won't! I just need to figure out who I am!!" I mean, WHO DOES THIS?! You have not one, but TWO incredibly gorgeous, sensitive, amazing guys that would do absolutely anything for you and you say NO?! GRRR!!



The rest of the series proved difficult for me to get through. It was a strange thing though, because even though I didn't necessarily enjoy reading these books, I couldn't not finish the series! I mean, I had to finish them for obvious reasons such as: 1) I wanted to see who she ends up with, Derek or Lucas, and 2) I had to figure out who she really was. But it was more than just those things! It was like it was my duty to finish this series whether I wanted to or not!! Speaking of figuring out what Kylie is. I did feel that there was a lot, and I mean A LOT of build up as to just what Kylie is (I mean, we don't actually figure out until the end, and I mean the end of the third book and then you don't really get that many more details until the 5th book). And when I finally found out I was somewhere along the lines of:

*wait . . . wha??*



On a lighter note! I really enjoyed Della and Miranda! I felt that they gave the series a nice comedic quality, and were the greatest roommates/friends Kylie could have asked for. I also loved Holiday and Burnett! I'll leave it at that so I don't spoil anything. I definitely feel that if I would have read this series sooner to when it was released, I would have enjoyed a lot more! (Meaning that I've just read a lot more well-written novels within the past year or so that overshadowed this particular series.) 
A decent read and one I would recommend to those who enjoyed the Strange Angels series by Lily St. Crow.

No comments:

Post a Comment