Sunday, June 28, 2015

Joyride

Author: Anna Banks
Series: Stand Alone
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Release Date: June 2, 2015
Summary: It’s been years since Carly Vega’s parents were deported. She lives with her brother, studies hard, and works at a convenience store to contribute to getting her parents back from Mexico. Arden Moss used to be the star quarterback at school. He dated popular blondes and had fun with his older sister, Amber. But now Amber’s dead, and Arden blames his father, the town sheriff who wouldn’t acknowledge Amber's mental illness. Arden refuses to fulfill whatever his conservative father expects. All Carly wants is to stay under the radar and do what her family expects. All Arden wants is to NOT do what his family expects. When their paths cross, they each realize they’ve been living according to others. Carly and Arden’s journey toward their true hearts—and one another—is funny, romantic, and sometimes harsh.
Review: I ended up having a love/hate relationship with this book. First of all, it was a lot shorter than I had originally suspected it to be. When I first got my greedy little hands on it all I could think was, "This is it?" Although that ended up not being a bad thing, I was initially put off by it's short length.

I did however enjoy the main character, Carly. She had a ton of determination, self-control, was strong-minded, and very witty. I had a lot of fun whilst reading the initial exchanges between her and Arden. Although, every character has some flaws. Carly's would have to be that she was very submitting, especially when it came to her brother/family. 

Let's talk about Arden Moss. Honestly, he was one of my least favorite characters in the novel. He kept on getting angry at Carly because she kept letting Arden know that unlike him, she actually had to work for a living while he could just lounge around because he came from big money. It really annoyed me that he would get so frustrated when Carly was just stating the obvious and Arden knew that. That is really the thing that made him my least favorite.

The story line. Well . . . let's just say that by the end, I did not see that one coming! From the synopsis, I was expecting something similar to the lines of a Sarah Dessen book maybe? Mainly just a contemporary romance . . . as the genre above specifies. Although this novel is contemporary, and does contain some romance, it didn't really feel like a YA contemporary romance to me.

Okay, okay, from the review above it may seem like I hated this book. But I didn't!! It is filled with charm, honestly, and discussed the important subjects of poverty and immigration. Although I don't think I'll read this one again, I don't regret reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment