Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The Start of Me and You

Author: Emery Lord
Series: Stand Alone
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Release Date: March 31, 2015
Summary: It’s been a year since it happened—when Paige Hancock’s first boyfriend died in an accident. After shutting out the world for two years, Paige is finally ready for a second chance at high school . . . and she has a plan. First: Get her old crush, Ryan Chase, to date her—the perfect way to convince everyone she’s back to normal. Next: Join a club—simple, it’s high school after all. But when Ryan’s sweet, nerdy cousin, Max, moves to town and recruits Paige for the Quiz Bowl team (of all things!) her perfect plan is thrown for a serious loop. Will Paige be able to face her fears and finally open herself up to the life she was meant to live?
Review: I initially checked this book out because it sounded similar to Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson. Unfortunately, I put off reading it since I was in the middle of two or three books at the time I checked The Start of Me and You out. After finishing my other books and wondering what to read next, I picked this one up (it's due date was right around the corner!) hoping that it would exceed my expectations. And let me tell you, it did just that!

I really enjoyed Paige aka Grammar Girl aka Janie! She felt real to me. Her 'flaws' were refreshing, her voice was realistic, and she was very down to earth. Her sense of humor! *insert chuckle* Let's just say I was laughing a lot more than I expected in this book. Take this quote for instance:

"Okay," he said, leaning closer to me. "I have a proposition for you." 
Dear God, let it be marriage, I thought."


If Paige actually existed, we would be friends. No doubt about it.
Speaking of friends! Paige and her group of besties, Tessa, Morgan, and Kayleigh, were totally awesome! Their dynamic was incredibly written. I feel that often times you have the MC and his/her best friend and the other characters/friends just end up being, well, fluff (?). Not with these girls. They each had their own unique and distinct personality that made them all relate-able in their own way. Who run the world? GIRLS!!!


Okay, the romance in this book is so on point it's not even funny. I looked much like this for a majority of the book:


One of the things I loved most about the romance in The Start of Me and You is that it felt real. It happens over a long period of time. And the fact that Paige and Max started out as friends and grew to love each other is just totally perfect.

Also, this book gets DOWN AND NERDY!! Honestly, the witty/nerdy banter is this book was absolutely HIL-AR-IOUS! I mean, they argue about Pride and Prejudice!! And the whole Quiz Bowl? Oh my goodness, high school flashbacks people!!


All in all, this was a great read! I laughed (a lot), cried, swooned, and was incredibly moved all while reading this book. Perfect for the start of summer. Definitely add this one to your "Must-Read" shelf immediately!

"I may still be stumbling through these steps, but at least I'm stumbling forward." - Paige Hancock



No comments:

Post a Comment