Monday, July 13, 2015

An Ember in the Ashes

Author: Sabaa Tahir
Series: An Ember in the Ashes #1
Genre: Fantasy, Adventure, Romance
Release Date: April 28, 2015
Summary: Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear. It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do. But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy. There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself.
Review: The first couple of chapters were a little on the slow side (due mainly to story development) but the pace picked up shortly after. It didn't take me long at all to fall in love with the characters, setting, and story. After reading for multiple hours straight, I had to FORCE myself to put An Ember in the Ashes down in order to avoid being late for work.
The novel is written in two alternating POVs, Elias and Laia. Elias's chapters were very fast-paced due to the fact that he was at Blackcliff and a soldier in training. On the other hand, Laia's chapters were more mellow starting out. Having these alternating POVs really helped the overall pacing of the book and character development.
If there was one complaint I had dealing with this book, it'd be that the romance developed extremely slowly! It was easy for me to guess/assume that Elias and Laia would, at some point in time, develop feelings for each other. Little did I know, this would be an incredibly slow burning fire. But since I loved this novel so much . . .


I really enjoyed how much Tahir kept me on my toes while reading her novel. I was in suspense for a majority of the novel and even when I thought I knew what was going to happen, Tahir would pull the rug out from under me and I was left in the dark once again, greedily eating up the pages!

*the popcorn symbolizing me eating up the pages . . . obvs*


Let's not forget that ending though! I honestly need the next book . . . like NOW! Goodreads says that it'll be published in April of 2016 . . . WAIT . . . APRIL . . . of 2016?! *starts sobbing dramatically* I can't wait that long!



If An Ember in the Ashes isn't on your 'to-read' list yet, you'd better go and put it on there right now . . . 
Lastly, one of my favorite quotes from the book:


"There are two kinds of guilt. The kind that's a burden and the kind that gives you purpose. Let your guilt be fuel. Let it remind you of who you want to be. Draw a line in your mind. Never cross it again. You have a soul. It's damaged, but it's there. Don't let them take it from you, Elias."






3 comments:

  1. Hmm...the question is... Do I wait to read it next year when I can get the whole story or be in suspense for 9 months. How many in the series?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...the question is... Do I wait to read it next year when I can get the whole story or be in suspense for 9 months. How many in the series?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nanci! According to Goodreads, there will only be two books in this series. But I think you should read it now . . . and then again right before the books comes out. Also, this was one that had a cliffhanger ending, but I'm still okay waiting for the sequel to come out. So I think either way would be good.

    ReplyDelete