Monday, July 20, 2015

Saint Anything

Author: Sarah Dessen
Series: Stand Alone
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Release Date: May 5. 2015
Summary: Peyton, Sydney's charismatic older brother, has always been the star of the family, receiving the lion's share of their parents' attention and—lately—concern. When Peyton's increasingly reckless behavior culminates in an accident, a drunk driving conviction, and a jail sentence, Sydney is cast adrift, searching for her place in the family and the world. When everyone else is so worried about Peyton, is she the only one concerned about the victim of the accident? Enter the Chathams, a warm, chaotic family who run a pizza parlor, play bluegrass on weekends, and pitch in to care for their mother, who has multiple sclerosis. Here Sydney experiences unquestioning acceptance. And here she meets Mac, gentle, watchful, and protective, who makes Sydney feel seen, really seen, for the first time.
Review: I have been beating myself up constantly for not starting this book sooner. Back in May (when it was released) I managed to get my greedy little hands on a signed copy. Unfortunately, as soon as I had said copy, I stuck it on my bookshelf and forgot about it shortly after. Thankfully, whilst sorting my bookshelves, I came upon this beauty once again and immediately put it on the top of my 'to-read' pile. Now here we are, two days later!
It's no surprise that I'm a huge fan of Sarah Dessen. I fell in love with her many years ago after my sister encouraged me to read The Truth About Forever. *click here for my review*  The voice she gives to her characters is incredible and makes them very relatable to teens. After finishing Saint Anything I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Although it hits on some pretty heavy topics, I really enjoyed it overall. Two thumbs way up!


Sarah manages to turn the boring, everyday conversations, into works of art. It's crazy how so many of those everyday conversations turned into such a heartfelt, emotional piece of work. I'm always impressed with the feelings Dessen can conjure out of me. Not to mention the fact that she can make the love interest(s) seem extremely appealing even though they aren't doing anything miraculous or overly-charming.
The friendship between Sydney and Layla was so on point! In the book Sydney describes it by saying that she and Layla weren't friends one day, and then the next they were. Isn't that how it always is?! The relationship was so fun, sweet, and felt completely down to earth and real.


Let me be honest, I'm a major sucker when it comes to romance. Especially when dealing with YA. With Dessen, she makes it so that the romance isn't the main focus. She explores the many different elements that make up her characters while somehow weaving the romance in there very subtly. My craving was satisfied, but not in the way I thought it would be.
My favorite line was definitely the last one in the book. It totally sealed the deal for me! Watching Sydney grow into a new person slowly throughout the novel and then reading that last line, *sigh* it just made me smile! The compassion and attachment I grew towards these characters was crazy! Dessen definitely worked her magic with this one. She ended the story very strongly, but also in a way that left readers the option to either continue/imagine what might come next, or just be content with that perfect last line.


Although The Truth About Forever will always be my #1 by her, Saint Anything  has definitely claimed my #2 spot! If you're into YA contemporary romance, look no further! This is most likely the book for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment