Monday, July 27, 2015

The Revenants Trilogy Combined Review


Author: Amy Plum
Series: The Revenants
Genre: Fantasy, Romance
Release Date: May 10, 2011
Summary: When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent. Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.
Review: 

 !!THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SOME MAJOR SPOILERS!!!

Where to begin? I've been meaning to pick up this series for some time and kept on putting it off (per usual). Finally, I just sat down and forced myself to read the first page. I was hooked!! 

I first came across Plum while reading her newer series, After the End. I really enjoyed that novel and decided to give her other stuff a try. I was not disappointed! . . . with the first installment anyway. The pacing throughout the first book was spot on! There was enough to keep me reading late into the night, but not enough to make me want to tear my hair out.



However, the farther I got in this series, the more I started disliking where the plot was headed. I knew from page one that something was going to be up with Kate. She wasn't going to be just some "ordinary" girl. So when I got to the 3rd book (If I Should Die) and found out that she is the Champion . . . well, it was kind of like a 'duh' moment for me. I was waiting to this huge reveal and was not as impressed as I had previously hoped. A half-hearted applause for that one.


I really did enjoy the relationship between Kate and Vincent though. It wasn't very realistic, but I was definitely swooning whenever Vincent came on stage (in a sense). I mean, come on, he is totally DREAMY!!


Overall, the series as a whole ended up being a solid 3 stars for me. It started out with a incredible amount of potential, but kind of burned out throughout the series. It'll probably be while before I come back to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment