Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Red Queen

Author: Victoria Aveyard
Series: Red Queen #1
Genre: Fantasy, Dystopian, Romance
Release Date: February 10, 2015
Summary: The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers. To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change. Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control. But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?
Review: If you enjoyed either of the following books, you'll probably enjoy this one as well: Graceling by Kristin Cashore and Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas.

By page 20, I was already hooked! Although it took a few more chapters to get the story really going, the 'introductory' chapters of sorts were still incredible. The world building was amazing! Aveyard has such a way with words! And the cover! Okay, let me just say, it's totally on point!! :)
I loved the idea of Silver bloods and Red bloods. It was such an amazing concept! Mare was a great main character. I loved that she was a thinker! I also liked that she knew that by doing a particular something, there would be consequences and she was prepared for them. Cal, oh Cal. First off, I love the name choice. It fit him perfectly! And also the fact that he was so wonderful, and handsome, and just like, everything awesome! *sigh*


Oh, and I totally adored Lucas. He was pretty great. I liked that he was so kind-hearted towards Mare! I really enjoyed the relationship between those two! I also liked the relationship between Mare and Julian. Ah, but along with those characters whom I adored, I also loathed some characters completely including, but not limited to: Evangeline, Queen Elara, and occasionally the King. Oh, and when a particular character died . . . my heart. It broke. Into a million gazillion pieces. My feels were somewhere along these lines:



Okay, so let's talk about the plot twist. As soon as Mare switched identities, I had a pretty good feeling as to just what this particular plot twist was. But still, I held out hope that I might be wrong, and that a particular person might not do what I thought they'd do . . . but then, it was written out on the page and I knew there was no going back after that one! UGH!! THE HORROR!! Seriously though, when I finally got to and read the plot twist I was all:


Really though, that ending! I'm anxiously awaiting book two . . . which will definitely take long to get here than I want to wait . . . VICTORIA!! WRITE FASTER!! . . . please :)

No comments:

Post a Comment