Friday, April 10, 2015

The Infinite

Author: Lori M. Lee
Series: Gates of Thread and Stone #2
Genre: Fantasy, Science Fiction, Romance
Release Date: March 10, 2015
Summary: Kai always believed the only danger to the city came from within. Now, with a rebel force threatening the fragile government, the walls have become more of a prison than ever.
To make matters worse, as Avan explores his new identity as an Infinite, Kai struggles to remind him what it means to be human. And she fears her brother, Reev, is involved with the rebels. With the two people she cares about most on opposite sides of a brewing war, Kai will do whatever it takes to bring peace. But she’s lost her power to manipulate the threads of time, and she learns that a civil war might be the beginning of something far worse that will crumble not only Ninurta’s walls but also the entire city.
Review: First of all, if you haven't read Gates of Thread and Stone, you should probably do so now. Also, if you haven't read my review for Gates of Thread and Stone, click here. Moving on!
I really enjoyed this one, especially for a sequel. I personally don't feel like it matched it's predecessor's awesomeness if every way, but in many ways it did. Lee did a great job of continuing Kai's story smoothly from the first novel to the second. One of the main reasons this one didn't make it to a 5 star rating for me was that it takes the world from Gates of Thread and Stone and takes it up a couple notches, mainly in complexity. For some, that may have been total and complete awesome sauce, but I myself am not really a fan of adding more complexity when it isn't really necessary, although Lee did a wonderful job of intertwining them in a way that the new details that were introduced throughout the novel never took away from the story line. Kudos to her for that!!
After the amazing cliff hanger that ended the first novel, I was indeed thirsty for some one on one time between Kai and Avan . . .


Unfortunately, my thirst wasn't nearly as satisfied as I had originally hoped. Although after finishing the novel, I actually wasn't too upset about it.
And don't even get me started on everything that goes down in Lanathrill. And especially after what Cassia and Emeryn did . . . I was angry, hurt, and saddened by the loss.


And Lee, again with the ending!! Seriously, you already have me totally wound around your finger! Why do you have to go and torture me into trying to guess what the next book may contain?! Honestly though, after finishing The Infinite I was somewhere along these lines:


If you haven't read Gates of Thread and Stone, go and pick it up now. And then immediately follow through with The Infinite. Overall, a well-written sequel that left me breathless and more that ready for the next installment in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment