Tuesday, April 28, 2015

A Court of Thorns and Roses

Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #1
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Re-telling
Release Date: May 5, 2015
Summary: When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.
As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.
Review: I finished this book in one sitting. ONE SITTING! Okay, by this point in time, you guys should have found out that I am quite the fan of Sarah's work. I literally devour everything she writes! It's insane really . . .

Me reading anything by Sarah . . . except it's literature and not cheese . . . though I do like cheese . . .

So when I found out she was writing a new series that was combining Beauty and the Beast with faerie lore. Well, how could I say no?! I COULDN'T!! I was fortunate enough to get an ARC of this back in February. After totally pounding my way through it the first time, I read it again . . . and again . . . and again. 



Now you're probably thinking, "Okay, this girl is way too obsessed and needs some help." To some extent you may be right. But let me try and justify my addiction to this particular novel. 1) It's a freaking Beauty and the Beast re-telling! This is one of my favorite Disney movies. I adore many of the re-tellings, both on page and screen so why not this one?? When I found out about that small detail alone I was ensnared.

2) The MC Feyre totally killed it. The comical sarcastic banter between her, Lucien, and Tamlin was so on point it's not even funny! One of my (many) favorite parts is: 

Feyre: Would you like me to grovel with gratitude for bringing me here, High Lord?"
Tamlin: Ah, The Suriel told you nothing important, did it?"
Feyre: That smile of his sparked something bold in my chest. "He also said that you like being brushed, and if I'm a clever girl, I might train you with treats."
Tamlin tipped his head to the sky and roared with laughter. Despite myself, I let out a quiet laugh. 
"I might die of surprise," Lucien said behind me. "You made a joke, Feyre."

This is just a small sample of many encounters between these three. I loved her back story as well and how she came from a fairly wealthy family that had lost all of their money and was scrounging for any and everything. Also, that fact that Feyre can't read . . . ugh! I had the hardest time with that! Mainly because I love reading and find it so enjoyable and for her it's the complete opposite. I can't even imagine. 
3) Tamlin was, well, *SIGH* perfect. He had the perfect blend of broodiness, gentle-manliness, and thoughtfulness. (wow that was a lot of -ness's). Seeing the relationship between him and Feyre evolve was like magic. I loved that it happened in real time and that they slowly got to know each other.

Last but not least! 4) Lucien was probably my favorite character. It's odd for me to not have the MC be my favorite, but Lucien outshines them all in my opinion. He is such a sassy dude. Every scene with him was spot on. I loved that he brings Tamlin to his senses and helps guide the two (Feyre and Tamlin) together. I also loved the friendship that grew between him and Feyre by the end of the novel.

Okay, now there were a few things that I didn't enjoy. Like how long it too for Feyre to go through the trials. I felt like it was taking forever and also that there were some unnecessary scenes. This could have also been because her and Tamlin are apart though . . . Also, although I enjoyed the beginning, whilst reading it the multiple times after my first round, I found the beginning (basically the entire time before Tamlin arrives) rather dull. I understand that the story and setting needing constructing, but come on . . . 

Let's talk about that ending! Um, well this is going to be a trilogy . . . but let's just say that I'm totally fine with it being a stand alone. There is some foreshadowing for the next book(s) but I'm totally cool with just keeping this one all by itself.  My final thoughts on A Court of Thorns and Roses:


and Sarah J. Maas, you totally:


No comments:

Post a Comment