Friday, May 15, 2015

The Heir

Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #4
Genre: Dystopian, Romance
Release Date: May 5, 2015
Summary: Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won Prince Maxon’s heart. Now the time has come for Princess Eadlyn to hold a Selection of her own. Eadlyn doesn’t expect her Selection to be anything like her parents’ fairy-tale love story. But as the competition begins, she may discover that finding her own happily ever after isn’t as impossible as she always thought.
Review: I'm still not quite sure as to why this is considered the 4th book in The Selection series, when it could just be a series/spin-off of its own. I read the three novels prior to this one and liked them, but didn't really love them. I felt that after the second book I already knew what was going to happen and so the story seemed to drag on for me. I sincerely hope that this doesn't happen with the remaining novels in this series. 

I actually enjoyed the grown up versions of the characters from the first three novels better than their younger selves. I really enjoyed the fact that they played such an important role. (Yeah yeah, I know they're Eadlyn's parents but they could have ended up playing a very insignificant role.) I really did love the relationship between Eadlyn and her parents. I felt that for the most part, it was fairly realistic. But I did have one question continually throughout the novel . . . why have America and Maxon kept their Selection and the details behind it such a secret? It's especially frustrating as the reader because I know what happened and having her (Eadlyn) not know is driving me BONKERS!!! I mean, why aren't you telling her????



I was okay with Eadlyn for the most part. I had a hard time with the fact that she was so … socially challenged??? Also the fact that whenever something went slightly wrong she'd go back to the whole,  "Well I'm going to be queen and will have all power and then none of this will matter" thing. Although, by the end of the novel I am more pleased with the direction her story has headed. 



One of the main reasons this ended up being a 4 star novel instead of a 5 was because of all the crap that went down within the last few chapters. It was just one thing after another. I can see why Cass would want to do this (to build up suspense for the next installment) but I felt that she could have introduced some of these crises a little sooner than they actually happened. Seriously though, my mind was scrambling to make sense of everything at the end . . .



If you've read any of the other novels in The Selection series and enjoyed them. I strongly advise you to give this one a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment