Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Black Ice

Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Series: Stand Alone
Genre: Contemporary, Mystery, Thriller Romance
Release Date: October 7, 2014
Summary: Sometimes danger is hard to see. . . until it's too late. Britt Pfeiffer has trained to backpack the Teton Range but she isn't prepared when her ex-boyfriend, who still haunts her every thought, wants to join her. Before Britt can explore her feelings for Calvin, and unexpected blizzard forces her to seek shelter in a remote cabin, accepting the hospitality of its two very handsome occupants - but these men are fugitives, and they take her hostage. Britt agrees to guide the men off the mountain. As they set off, Britt knows she must stay alive long enough for Calvin to find her. The task is made even more complicated when Britt finds chilling evidence of a series of murders than have take place there . . . and in uncovering this, she may become the killer's next target. But nothing is as it seems in the mountains, and everyone is keeping secrets, including Mason, on of her kidnappers. His kindness is confusing Britt. Is he an enemy? Or an ally?
Review: I've been way way way too into covers lately, so let's take just a minute to enjoy the total awesomeness of this one. Seriously . . . it's freaking great!!
Boy oh boy! I have been waiting for this book for ages! And along with that waiting, for some odd reason my expectations kept on getting higher and higher. I've read Fitzpatrick's Hush, Hush series and enjoyed those books, thus making me look forward to this one. BUT!! If you didn't enjoy Hush, Hush please still give Black Ice a try anyway! It has a very different writing style and feel to it.
Black Ice starts with quite the attention grabber of a prologue and takes off from there. I knew right away that I wasn't going to be able to put it down until I finished (at approximately 2am). I was immediately drawn into the life of Britt Pfeiffer. She was, in my opinion, the epitome of your average teenage girl. She was smart, but not overly. She was good-looking, but not model-worthy. I also enjoyed that fact that (since this is considered a mystery/thriller) that she actually thought! Most of the time when it comes to this particular genre I really tend to struggle with the main character because he/she is usually dumber than a box of rocks. Having Britt be an overall quick thinker automatically made this book 10 X more enjoyable and enticing! Two thumbs up for that one Fitzpatrick!
Moving on to boys! From the first time I read/met Mason (in the gas station) I knew right away that I was going to be rooting for him. Clearly there also had to be some sort of love triangle/obstacle (this is YA after all) so there is also Britt's childhood crush, turned boyfriend, turned ex after moving away to college, Calvin. Throughout the book there are short snippets of Britt's memories that involve Calvin. I loved this concept because I felt that it gave me a really good grasp on just what kind of a guy Calvin was since his character isn't really focused on until later in the novel. It was also great because you're able to learn about Calvin, while uncovering the mystery that surrounds Mason. It made it a lot easier to compare the two. The ending was top-notch!! It was exactly what I wanted and was completely satisfying!
Overall, this book was about 4 1/2 stars for me. I really enjoyed a great majority of it. I found the story unique, intense, and full of surprises! The pace was pretty steady and the plot evolved nicely as well as the mystery itself. I will most definitely be re-reading this riveting novel again sometime during the long winter months ahead. Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment