Saturday, November 29, 2014

Touch of Power

Author: Maria V. Snyder
Series: Healer #1
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Adventure
Release Date: December 20, 2011
Summary: Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honoured for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos. Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince, the leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for.
Review:*MINOR SPOILERS INCLUDED* I absolutely adored this book! to say that I devoured it would be a bit of an understatement! I really enjoyed how Snyder ended off this book and don't plan on ruining . . . I mean reading the rest of the series. I've also heard rumors here and there of Maria's sequel curse and don't want the sequel to ruin my high standings of Touch of Power.
The basic idea and overall concept was extremely interesting and new.  I felt that Snyder did an exceptional job of developing the characters and plot throughout the novel. I thoroughlyt enjoyed the relationship between Avry and her group of "captors". They constantly had me laughing with their witty remarks. One of the main highlights was when they played hide-and-seek! One of my favorites scenes in the entire novel!
Kerrick, Kerrick, Kerrick! So I knew from the beginning he was going to be the love interest. I was so frustrated that he hid his feelings for Avry and vice versa! The majority of the book I just wanted to scream at them "STOP BICKERING AND KISS ALREADY!!" After reaching the end of the book I do realize that I actually liked their sarcastic comments back and forth because it just made me love their relationship even more lovable and realistic (I guess) after they actually get together! And the part in Tohon's garden where he admits that he likes her I was all "WOOHOO!!!" Definitely worth waiting the majority of the book.
I was definitely upset that Flea died, but it was needed. The group grew together more and Avry was able to use his death to partially unveil her true abilities as a healer.
This is a book I will read over and over again. It was an amazing piece of work and one I would recommend to anyone who has any free time whatsoever!

No comments:

Post a Comment