Sunday, November 16, 2014

Defiance

Author: C.J. Redwine
Series: Defiance #1
Genre: Post-apocalyptic, Romance, Adventure, Fantasy
Release Date: August 28, 2012
Summary: While the other girls in the walled city-state of Baalboden learn to sew and dance, Rachel Adams learns to track and hunt. While they bend like reeds to the will of their male Protectors, she uses hers for sparring practice. When Rachel's father fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the city's brutal Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector: her father's apprentice, Logan—the boy she declared her love to and who turned her down two years before. Left with nothing but fierce belief in her father's survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can't be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.
Review: Um, can I just start off with how much I LOVE this cover!! Seriously, it's freaking amazing! I love how Rachel is portrayed with the city of Baalboden faded in underneath. Pretty great.
Defiance is breath-taking, heart-wrenching, and beautifully written! I first saw this at the library a couple months ago and, as stated above, was immediately in love with the cover. After reading what the book was about I was hooked! I went to check it out and unfortunately it had holds on it, so I put it on hold right then and there in hopes it would come in for me soon. . . fast forward 2 months and I still did not have this novel!! So I just caved and went and bought it to end my frustration with the library and my desire to read this novel. Defiance is written in duel point of view (POV) from the two main characters, Rachel and Logan. The novel started out fast and there was no slowing down from then on. I absolutely loved Rachel! Her free spirit and unwavering determination was admirable, even when struck down and beyond intimidated by The Commander. Logan was a great male lead as well, being protective, but not overbearing. This is where I really enjoyed the duel POV because I was able to see just what each of them was thinking about the other. Redwine also did an amazing job of continuing the story line throughout the use of duel POV so the readers aren't having to reread over the same events in different perspective. Of course I absolutely loathed The Commander. Obviously he is the villain but I mean, this guy was complete, all around BAD NEWS!! After he threatened Rachel while she was shopping with Sylph I honestly wanted to beat him senseless, thankfully Logan was able to rattle him enough to calm my anger towards him. I really enjoyed this novel and I don't regret buying it. One of the main reasons I gave it 4 stars was because Logan and Rachel are separated (him in jail and her in the Wasteland) for a small portion of the book and I did not enjoy that period of time, as well as some of the pacing. Although Redwine does a great job of continuing the story throughout the POVs I still felt that some parts of the novel were faster and vice versa. Deception is one that I can't see myself getting bored with and will definitely be reading again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment